“I am Windows user. Few days back, I configured Outlook. whenever I try to open it, an error appears. The error states, “The file C:\Users\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\XXX.pst cannot be found”. I went into that folder to check the issue but I am unable to find it. Now, I wanted to know, how could I solve this issue?”
Reasons that lead to “cannot open outlook pst file not found” error are:
- PST file exists on a unsecured network server
- PST file could be damaged because of oversize PST file, improperly terminating Outlook wizard, synchronization issue, PST file infected by viruses, saving PST file on same drive that has bad sectors, etc
If you are facing this problem, below-mentioned methods can help you to get out of it.
Method 1: Create new PST file
If you don’t care about old PST file at all or any important data has not stored there, take a backup of the old PST, delete it, quit and restart Outlook. This will create a new PST file or else you can also import copy of the PST file from backup. To do so, Click on Open Personal Folders File. Go to Open and browse for a desired PST
Method 2: MS Inbox Repair Utility
- First close Outlook and go to C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86) file location on your system
- In theSearch box, type SCANPST.EXE.
[NOTE: Not getting SCANPST.EXE tool, according to Outlook version, go to mentioned file path to get it
Outlook 2016:C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16
Outlook 2013:C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office15
Outlook 2010:C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14
Outlook 2007:C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12; and open it]
- After opening SCANPST.EXE, specify name of the .pst file you want to check or click onBrowse to select error-showing file
- Click onStart to initiate scan
- If scan finds any errors, chooseRepair option to begin the process of repair
[NOTE: During repair process, a backup file will also be created. You can change name or location of this file, by providing new name or new file path on this window]
- Once repair is complete, again start Outlook along with the profile associated with Outlook Data File which you repaired just now
Method 3: Ultimate PST Repair tool
If above mentioned both methods didn’t work, don’t panic. You can make use of third-party reliable and trustworthy tool. Yodot Outlook PST Repair is right application to resolve, “cannot open Outlook PST file not found error”. It is designed with highly-developed techniques that can fix not only this error but also the other PST related errors. It provides flawless repair of corrupted PST file in minimum time. It can fix PST file created on Outlook 2000, 2002, 2003, 2007 and 2010 versions. However, if your Windows system where you want to run it is running with Windows 10, 8.1, 8,7 XP, Vista, Server 2003 and 2008 OS versions, go ahead.
Steps to fix this error with aid of above-mentioned tool:
First download Yodot Outlook PST Repair application -> Complete it’s installation and launch it by following instructions displaying on main screen -> Click on Open PST File -> In next screen you will be asked to select damaged PST file, which is showing cannot open Outlook PST file not found error and hit on Next button -> Now, select anyone from Normal Scan or Smart Scan option based on your requirement -> After this, browse for target location where you wanted to save repaired PST file and click on Next button -> Once repairing gets completed, a detailed summary of entire process will be displayed.