“I have downloaded ZIP file from internet and the download process was successful but when I tried to open it, it displayed an error message that “The file cannot be opened because it is corrupt”. I thought downloading again would be the right way and downloaded once again but still same problem. I don’t know why it is displaying like that. Can anyone tell me how to overcome this problem? I am using Windows 7 operating system by the way”
Have you ever got similar problem explained above. In case your answer is positive then do not bother about the issue. You can resolve it in a couple of minutes. The reason for getting such error message is corruption. The ZIP file that you downloaded is itself corrupted and as a consequence of this, the file refused to open and threw error message. To repair corrupted ZIP file, follow below given steps:
- Click on the “Start” button present on the lower-left side of the screen and Select “All Programs” then highlight “Accessories”
- Right-click on the “Command Prompt” option and choose “Run as Administrator.” You should know the password to the Administrator account on the computer to continue
- Type in the directory where the corrupted ZIP file is stored. For instance, if the file is on the C drive, type as “cd C:\.”
- Now type “c:\windows\system32\wzzip -yf corrupt_zip.zip.” The “corrupt_zip.zip” should be the name of the ZIP file you are trying to fix.
- Press “Enter” key to prompt Windows 7 to fix the corrupted ZIP file. If the repair process is successful, it will display a new directory with the same name as the corrupted file and the suffix “Fixed.”
If this method does not help you to fix corrupted file on Windows 7, then you are supposed to use repair software. But before you go and download the software, let us know about the causes that leads to ZIP file corruption on Windows 7. Few of them are:
- Incomplete download of a ZIP file on Windows 7 can corrupt the file making it inaccessible
- Unknown compression of ZIP file can damage internal structure of ZIP file
- Improper shutdown of Windows 7 computer during ZIP file transfer or processing can cause corruption
- Since files are highly compressed in ZIP archive, while extracting errors may occur and your ZIP file might get corrupted
As whatever said earlier, you can fix ZIP file that will not open in Windows 7 with the assistance of repair software most preferably Yodot ZIP Repair. This software scans and reads the internal structure of corrupted ZIP file and helps to extract all files and folders from the corrupted ZIP archive. This application facilitates easy and fast repair of large size ZIP / ZIPX files without changing original content. You can even preview contents of ZIP file after scanning process. Other than Windows 7 it supports Windows 8, Windows Vista, Windows XP, Windows server 2008 and 2003.
Follow below given steps to repair ZIP file on Windows 7
First of all download the software and install it to your computer. Visit here for demo version. Once the installation gets completed run it to start the repair process. First window asks you to browse corrupted ZIP file. Browse to select corrupted ZIP/ZIPX file and allow the software to scan the ZIP file. Once the scanning process gets completed, you will see a window indicating success of repair process. Preview ZIP file and at last save it in a location that you prefer.